Thursday, October 8, 2009

Cooking Club Recap...

Thank you to Melissa for teaching us our wonderful Cooking club this month. Here are the yummy recipes:

Mom's Sunday Rolls
  • 2 C. Hot water (let tap run until hot - no need to take exact temp)
  • 1/4 C. Sugar
  • 2 T. yeast
  • 1/4 C. Oil
  • 1 tsp. Salt
  • 5-6 C. Flour (not too sticky)
Stir up all ingredients (water, sugar, and yeast first). Shape into desired roll shape. Place on a greased cookie sheet. Let rise 30-40 min. (until almost double in size). Bake for 10 min. at 400 degrees. Makes 24-36 rolls.

*I use my KitchenAid for the rolls. Put in hot water first, then sprinkle sugar and yeast into the water. Let sit for a few minutes. Then add all the rest...one cup of flour at a time. I usually use almost exactly 6 cups of flour. You should be able to lightly touch the dough with your fingers and it shouldn't stick. I use Butter Flavor Crisco (shortening) to grease my pan. I also grease my hands very liberally with the Crisco to handle the dough. I squeeze the dough through one hand to make about golf-ball size balls. You can also just pick up a chunk and roll it between your hands to make a ball. Keep greasing your hands as needed so that the dough doesn't stick as you handle it. Also, if you place your pan on top of your heating oven, they will rise more quickly. I usually do this and let them rise for only 20 min or so. I brush the top of the rolls with butter (using a pastry brush) as they come out of the oven (totally optional, I just love butter).

*The recipe also works well with 1/2 white and 1/2 wheat flour...perfect for using your food storage wheat :)

Beehive Honey Butter
  • 1 C. Honey
  • 1 C. butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
Combine ingredients. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed for about 3 minutes or until thickened. Put into jars and refrigerate. Keeps up to 4 weeks in refrigerator

No comments:

Post a Comment